Wednesday 19 June 2013

What were your finest teenage fashion moments?

On my break this morning I was flicking though the news and came across this: http://goo.gl/ip2qB and it got me thinking about how I used to dress at school. Personally I absolutely love it when people express their taste in an attention grabbing way through clothing and hair styles, I think it's fabulously entertaining to see just how creative some people are. As with the girls in the article, it always amazes me how much effort people will put into their look.

                                   Magical: Japanese singing sensation Kyari Pamyu Pamyu shows off her Kawaii inspired look
                               What's your bet? How long did this look take to create?

When I was of secondary school age my look was interesting (read: a mess) but I don't care, I'm proud of the fact that I took the opportunity to go nuts with style(?). One picture that never fails to make me smile was taken on my 16th birthday. My previously candy floss pink hair had turned bright orange and I was never friendly with straighteners so my naturally curly hair had turned to frizz. I was also wearing a kilt, dms and a faux football top. It screamed 'clown gone wrong'. However much of a mess I looked I still absolutely loved it.

Another classic for me was at my prom. I wore a short pink tutu, pink corset, white tights and the biggest, fluffiest, most fluorescent fun fur coat you've ever seen. I just didn't feel like myself in the prom dresses the other girls had, it would have been fake and I'd have felt uncomfortable. In my eye wateringly bright ensemble, however, I felt on top of the world.

With all that in mind I love the kawaii trend. Go for it I say, it's all too soon that these kids may end up working in an industry that doesn't encourage personal expression. I was very lucky in that the school I went to wasn't that strict with the dress code but I'm aware that the vast majority of schools do now. I completely see the point about having a school uniform but what about hair art? I'm not sure I really agree with any of the arguments about it causing disruptions. I think exploring self expression is an important part of growing up. It's hardly as if one child getting pink hair will encourage the rest of the school is it?

What were your finest (or most horrific) fashion statements as a teenager? If possible I'd love you to send me a photo at info@workshopfactory.co.uk. Please keep in mind that I'd like to post some of them so do let me know if you don't want that. I'll also dig out some of my pictures so you won't be alone.

Tiff

www.workshopfactory.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment